10 Things You Can Now Do All By Yourself

"I want to do it all by myself!"

That's something you tell me more often these days, Adessa. You're learning how to so many things on your own and I'm really proud to see you grow in confidence. Here are ten things you can now do by yourself at almost three-and-a-half years old:

10. You can swing on the "big girl swing" all by yourself -- both the standard way and "Superman style."

9. You can go potty -- from the announcement, "Daddy, I need to go potty!" to walking into the bathroom, to the act itself, to washing your hands -- all by yourself. Yes, this is a particularly welcome achievement in Daddy's view.

8. You can go through the alphabet saying the sound each letter makes, singing:
The A says "ah"
the A says "ah"
every letter makes a sound
the A says "ah"!
You even recognize many letters by reading them now. At Gymboree, you pointed to the G on the sign at the cashwrap and started singing, "The G says 'guh," the G says 'guh,'"...

7. You can put a dollar bill in the change machine, collect the quarters, and then put them in the ride of your choice at Mall Playland all by yourself. Nine times out of ten, you select "Mousey Car" these days.

6. You can put on your velcro "strappy shoes" all by yourself and usually you even get them on the right feet (again, usually).

5. You can walk up to a person at the park, ask "Can I pet your dog?" and then gently approach and pet the dog and ask "What's your dog's name?" and "How old is your dog?" and then tell the dog's owner "My dog's name is Bella" and share interesting facts like "Bella is little."

4. You can swim in the pool with a "noodle tube" under your arms all by yourself. You are like a little guppy chasing Daddy around the pool out there!

3. You can start and stop videos on my computer all by yourself. Among your favorites right now: Little Bear, Donald Duck and Chip and Dale, and Bob the Builder.

2. You can put on a "puppet show" for me with your stuffed Chip and Dale and Donald Duck toys all by yourself. Sometimes you ask me to turn on the Chip and Dale theme song or the Donald Duck theme song in the Jeep and you make them sing their own songs, too.

1. You can say many Spanish and Italian words and phrases all by yourself, like "muy bien," "molto buono," "buon appetito," "ti amo," and "grazie." It is my hope that you'll be a world traveller one day like your Mommy and Daddy have been, too.

Again, I am so proud to see you accomplish these things on your own; one by one, each is a milestone by itself, but together, it is astonishing to see how independent you are becoming while yet not even in preschool.

It isn't surprising that this is bittersweet to me -- on one hand, proud of your ability, on the other hand, remembering that it wasn't long ago your Mommy and I had to take care of your every need. Of course there is a part of me that misses that tiny baby Adessa and those days when you relied upon us to feed you, change you, bathe you, dress you, hold you, and do everything else for you.

I'm proud of how far you've come already. Keep at it but don't grow up too quickly on me, sweetheart.

Daddy

Comments

Popular Posts