The Scrooge Song?

Yesterday, Adessa, we had a lot of fun doing a guitar singalong together... we played my guitar together with you strumming the strings while I fretted the chords. We sang and played quite a few songs: "Frosty The Snowman," "Happy Birthday," "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," and, your favorite, "This Little Light of Mine" (which you sang loudly and proudly).

But at one point, you said, "Daddy, can you sing The Scrooge Song?"

"The what?" I replied.

"The Scrooge Song. I want to sing The Scrooge Song."

That had me stumped. "How does that go? Can you sing a little bit of it for me?"

You thought for a moment... but apparently you were stumped, too. "You need to sing The Scrooge Song, Daddy," was your only reply. For the life of me, I couldn't even remember even hearing a song called "The Scrooge Song."

Well, Mommy seemed to think what you were referring to as "The Scrooge Song" was actually a song from How The Grinch Stole Christmas TV special... a song we always referred to as "Bahroo Boray" not knowing what else to call it. It's the song The Whos sing and it has that funny "bahroo boray" refrain.

Anyway, I promised you that I'd find that song and learn it... and sure enough, I was able to track it down. Turns out the song is called "Welcome Christmas":



And that refrain of "bahroo boray" is actually "fahoo fores dahoo dores." (And what does that mean? I haven't a clue.)

The complete lyrics:

Fahoo fores dahoo dores
Welcome Christmas come this way
Fahoo fores dahoo dores
Welcome Christmas, Christmas day
Welcome, welcome fahoo ramus
Welcome, welcome dahoo damus
Christmas day is in our grasp
So long as we have hands to clasp
Fahoo fores dahoo dores
Welcome, welcome Christmas
Welcome, welcome Christmas day!

So I worked out all the chords and I think I've got it down. We'll give it a try together tomorrow... and hopefully this is "The Scrooge Song" you had in mind!

Daddy

Comments

Popular Posts