The Pumpkin Patch

It was windy, it was a little cold, but oh did we have a lot of fun today, Adessa. We went to "The Pumpkin Patch," one of those tried-and-true places that springs up in the days leading to Halloween each year... with rides, slides, ponies, a petting zoo, games, and -- oh yeah -- pumpkins, there's more to do here than we could ever cram into an afternoon. But we tried...

We'll start with the first thing we did: the inflatable slide.


I asked which slide you wanted to do: the "Titanic" slide (aptly named as it was pretty big) or the "regular" slide. You opted, unsurprisingly, for the smaller one. I don't blame you... it takes a lot of guts to slide down either one of them. So he both took off our shoes and scampered up the gangway to the top.


Once to the top you told me, "Daddy, I'm scared." I was a little worried that I might have to figure a way to tote you down the way we came up, but I was able to gently persuade you to sit in my lap. We just sat there at the top for a few moments, you in my lap. I asked you, "Can we slide down now?" And you very bravely agreed. Down we went.


Wheee! Once to the bottom, you immediately announced: "I'm not scared! I'm not scared!" One slide was all it took: you were hooked, girl. "Let's go again!" So we went another half dozen times. I have to say that I was pretty proud of how adventurous you were, Addie... and even a little surprised. But that didn't even compare to how surprised I'd be at your courage later in the afternoon (more on that below)...


"Psst... wanna jump in a bouncy room?"


"Why yes, Daddy... I do!"


This bouncy room had sort of a tropical theme. Nothing says Harvest Season like palm trees, an alligator, and a "Safari Tour Bus."


The Superman Bouncy House.


Surprise Daddy tickle attack!


Riding in your wagon to go pick out a pumpkin...



Inspecting one of the thousands of pumpkins...


Here's one more your size.


Stopping for a goofy picture one might title "The Two Punkinheads."


Posing for a picture with your choice of the perfect pumpkin.


"Look, over there, Daddy! I think I see a better pumpkin!"


You took a ride on "The Cow Train." What exactly is a "Cow Train"? Well... exactly what the name implies. You insisted that you wanted to ride the cow named Scott. And you did.


Cow Train leaving the station...


Now to the part that really surprised me... you pointed to the "Titanic" slide and said "I want to go down the slide." I double-checked to make sure... but you were certain. I was genuinely concerned and wondering if I was going to be able to get you up there... check the photo, that was a steep climb up to the top of the iceberg slide.


The view from the top was impressive... we were up high and that drop down the slide was very steep.


"Are we OK to slide down?" I asked and again, very bravely, you said "Yes."


Wheee! Down we went... and that was a steep drop... steep enough that the friction from the plastic literally was burning Daddy's bum. Yowch!


Now for the part that really surprised me, Adessa: after sliding down together several times, you patted me on the back and said "You slide down by yourself, Daddy." I wasn't sure I heard you right... "You want me to slide down, and then you'll slide down by yourself?" You nodded.


"OK," I said and went down. I was concerned that you'd rethink your choice once you were all alone up there... but...


WOW! You very courageously and with no hesitation took the plunge all by yourself! Not once, but twice!


Whew! We're both still in one piece!

Adessa, it bears repeating: I was so proud of you today, being so brave at only two years old as to go down such a big slide like that all by yourself. Today was one of those days where I literally watched you grow up before my eyes. What a wonderful way to spend the day together... more on it tomorrow.

Daddy

Comments

  1. Adessa, I'm very proud of you too - I don't think Grammy would have the courage to go down the Titanic by myself! Looks as if it was a wonderful afternoon for you and Daddy, with so many fun things to see and do. I'm really glad you had that time together!

    Love, Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adessa and Tim....
    what an awesome pumpkin patch you guys got to go to. It made me jealous I couldn't have taken your cousins Zach, Ryker and Brynna to something that awesome! Hope you two have a VERY HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Can't wait to see some more pictures.
    Love ... your cousin Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts