Praying For Adessa


We may come to a point in difficult situations when we're out of things to do, ways to "fix" what is broken.

My friend Rob once told me, "Pray as if it's all up to God and act as if it's all up to you."

So what happens when we've exhausted action, when there is nothing else we can do -- when, in short, it is in God's hands?

Then just stick with part one of Rob's advice: "Pray as if it's all up to God."

Because it is.

Does this discourage you? If so, I submit that you have a distorted view of God's sovereignty and grace. Not long ago, following God's word to "be still and know that I am God" was very frustrating to me. I always thought, "there must be something else for me to do about this... something I can do to fix it."

Reality is: we can't always fix it. But there is always something we can do.

We can pray.

I haven't seen my daughter nor have I even spoken to her in more than 13 months. My heart aches... it bleeds for her return. Friends will ask, "Isn't there something more you can do? What about attorneys, judges, etc.?"

I smile ruefully and explain that I've been there, done that. If some man or woman was going to bring justice to this situation, it would have been done by now. It is in God's hands.

Again, a few years ago this would have frustrated me no end. I would have itched for action, something to do, some stone yet left unturned.

Today, I'm able to rest knowing that God holds Adessa in His hands. I've done all I can do, told the truth, fought hard for her. There's nothing left to do... except:

Pray.

I pray constantly for Adessa. I pray for God to bless her. I pray for her safety. I pray that she will be kept from both physical and emotional harm.

I pray for God to bring a miracle of restoration. One thing I will unequivocally state: at this point, I do not believe any judge, attorney, advocate, family member, or friend can bring restoration. Restoration will be an act of God -- a miracle as real as any described in the Bible.

I pray for God to give me discernment about how to even pray for Adessa. What are her needs? What are her challenges? Lord, show me that I may better pray for her.

Recently, the Lord put it on my heart to again be praying for her future husband. The man she is to marry is likely a little boy now walking the earth somewhere, living life unaware of the path he is on that will one day intersect with Adessa's. Maybe I even know him or have met him already. In any event, I pray that the Lord would bless him and prepare his heart to one day be the kind of husband who would be a blessing to Adessa.

In short, I pray, pray, pray. Constantly. It is a joy for me to pray for Adessa. I am honored that so many friends and family join me in praying for her.

My encouragement to you: if you are weary in carrying a burden in your life, something broken that you have tried to "fix," ask God if there's anything more you can do at this time to help.

Perhaps He would show you that it is time to stop wasting your finances, efforts, and worries on something that is beyond your help. And then there is one thing to do at that point, unceasingly:

Pray.

Comments

Popular Posts