Monkey Blanket

Friday night, as you were winding down for bedtime, it became apparent that we had a problem on our hands. No Blankie-Bear. Uh-oh. You pleaded with me to produce Blankie-Bear but unfortunately, I didn't have him. I knew this could be trouble.

Then I got an idea -- I grabbed my blanket from when I was a little boy, my Monkey Blanket. This blanket was made by my Grandma Brinkman for me and is older than I am, so, needless to say, it is well-worn -- to the point where the monkeys long ago faded away.

I explained to you, "Adessa, this is my Monkey Blanket. When I was your age, this was my blankie. I took it with me everywhere and it was very special to me." Which was true -- I was inseparable from my Monkey Blanket from the age of two until five. Even as I got into grade school, I'd sleep with it and keep it near me in the house. I wasn't sure if you'd approve of Monkey Blanket as an adequate substitute for Blankie-Bear, but you know what? I was thrilled to watch you cuddle up with it and promptly fall asleep.


By the next day, you were actually saying "Where's my Monkey Blanket?" instead of "Where's Blankie-Bear?" You took to it right away -- and I was very surprised by this. All weekend long, Monkey Blanket did a fine job of standing in for Blankie-Bear. Yeah, I'm very proud of Monkey Blanket today. I kept it all this time, not quite knowing why... and you gave me a great reason to do so.

Daddy

Comments

  1. Adessa,it does my heart good to see the Monkey blanket back in action! For years it was the go-to item when your Daddy was tired, sick, scared or just needed a little feeling of home. Glad to see that there's still some comfort left in that beloved piece of cloth! Grandma Brinkman did a good job stitching it with love.

    I love you a bushel and a peck! Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adessa, I had a stuffed monkey that I slept with until high school. My friends decided I needed to give it up do they tied it on my girlfriends radio antenna and drove to school. How mean! Those are some fun pictures of you. Have fun. Love, Brenda Coates

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts